Explore from A to Z, Spring 2019 issue 1
We are proud to be partnered with some of the best in the business, experts in their field who add that extra bit of magic and sparkle to our events. In this issue we explain why we love working with the wonderful Blue Badge Guides.
Did you know that the programme to become a Blue Badge Guide is two years – as long as to qualify for The London Knowledge for black cab drivers. And no wonder it takes so long, the depth and breadth of the knowledge of our favourite guides knows no ends and as such they perfectly complement some of our Fruitful Team Event products. Each guide is independent but is a member of the British Guild of Tourist Guides that oversees training and maintains the high standards that we have come to expect. If you visit any of the popular tourist attractions in London you are sure to find a Blue Badge Guide describing a historical moment or sharing an urban legend to their group in one of 30 languages.
We have been using one such guide for a number of years now and she has become a firm favourite for both us and our clients. Not only can she deliver all the programmes you would expect but she is a wonderful source of knowledge anywhere in London – need help for a walking tour around fashion in London? She has a wonderful programme talking about Carnaby Street, Laura Ashley and Bond Street among others. Have clients staying off the beaten track but don’t want to bus them to more tourist based areas? She can make any area fascinating (a recent group in Marylebone were treated to a little snippet about Paul McCartney sneaking out of a girlfriends window!)
The trends of having an experience, learning something, trying out a new skill are pervading many of our events and the Blue Badge team are well placed to hit that brief regardless of group size, time or location.
“This is the second time we have used you to organize a walking tour of the local area, and the second time we have had the pleasure of working with Amanda. She is the absolute best! So very knowledgeable, personable, and wonderful with our group. As a blue badge guide, she has a rich knowledge of the areas she is showing the attendees. Even those who have lived in London their entire life learned a lot on her tour. She has a wonderful personality and we will definitely ask for Amanda in the future. She is a star!”
Interesting facts about Blue Badge guides;
- The Blue Badge is the highest level of professional tourist guiding in the UK
- Blue Badge tourist guides are the only guides permitted to guide visitors around sites such as the Tower of London and Windsor Castle
- Blue Badge tourist guides love to know about their group in advance of the tour – nationality, type of company, interests etc so they can incorporate stories relevant to the group in their tour – every tour is personally tailored to the group
- Every Blue Badge tourist guide has been asked why Windsor Castle was built underneath the flightpath of London Heathrow airport!
- Blue Badge tourist guides know great stories about hidden areas of well know tourist sites.